Thursday, November 6, 2008

Leaving The Mountains


I was in the Friends of the Library used book store this weekend and happened to see this shelf full of books. I notices that on the second shelf someone with a sense of humor had put a book by Rush Limbaugh on the same shelf with Shirley MacLaine. At least there are some books separating them!


Well my bags are packed and I am ready to go (thank you Peter, Paul and Mary...). Tomorrow I leave for Raleigh. It's hard to leave the mountains. When I was growing up I would call the mountains my "purple hooded priests." I'm not sure I knew what a priest was then, but I knew enough to know that it was a person who you could share your secrets with. And I would often do that in the evening when they stood against the sky hooded in purple shadows. I guess I am still that little girl!

I've been watching this Japanese Maple for days now. In the afternoon it glows! It has become my "burning bush." Sometimes I catch a glimpse of it out of the corner of my eye and think that the woods have caught on fire. It is such a stark contrast to the many evergreens around. And if the bush were on fire but not consumed what would I do? I suspect I would be on my knees on the back deck 24/7.

I am on the move now and ready for the adventure.


No comments: