Friday, March 13, 2009

Lent III


The last two weeks have left me with little energy for posting here. I have done the necessary things in my life. I have been feeding Katie and Pumpkin, taking Katie out in the backyard and watching spring creep into our lives, turning the heat up and down with the successive cold fronts that sweep through, buying groceries, cleaning house, and writing sermons. Most of my energy, however, has gone into watching and praying for the loved members of my parish who are ill. This has been a hard winter for the folks of St. Stephen's. One after another have been ill or had serious health issues. Right now we are keeping watch with a parishioner who is in ICU. Hope comes and hope disappears into the worsening lab reports, yet we wait with the One who heals us all.
On the trips back and forth to the hospital in Evansville, I have been watching the fields where the winter wheat is coming in. Those patches of emerald green almost hurt my eyes in the midst of the surrounding "brown world." I love the colors of the fields of southwestern Indiana. There is always a patchwork quilt of color in those fields. My favorite time is when the winter wheat turns to gold and the corn is about knee high. The blending of those two colors in the softly rolling hills is stunning. I always loved my trips through the fields of eastern North Carolina, watching the cotton, tobacco and soybean fields at their various moments of life. Nature has a way of steadying me. It provides a landscape of hope and home that reassures me. So, I continue now in the midst of the things I don't understand to hope and trust in God who ordered the heavens and the earth, the seasons and the times for our good and our pleasure.

No comments: