Monday, July 27, 2009

It's a dog's world...


It is a dog's world!

It has been an intense time around our house. Dealing with issues of barking and feline relations has been stressful for all of us. Last week Isabelle got me up at 3am almost every day barking in her crate. The old remedy for barking: letting them bark without giving in to their need for attention - only works if you live in the country. My neighbors just don't deserve that! We have now made several modifications in routine that are helping. Just this weekend we seem to have made a leap of progress. Isabelle is sleeping in her crate better with much less barking. I am reading everything I can get my hands on about dealing with her (and ultimately my) issues. I know that so much of her ability to be a great dog depends on my ablility to give her good boundaries. I made a "shake can" by putting coins in a tin container. I now shake it when she starts barking at or harrassing the cat. It sure gets her attention off of the cat. Perhaps Pumpkin will get out from under the bed a little more...


Yesterday morning after everyone was fed and I was ready for church I sat down to read through my sermon several times. I did that and then I closed my eyes to pray and woke up 40 minutes later! For a moment I didn't know what day it was - both of the dogs were asleep at my feet. Then I looked at my watch - it was 7:55am - and I had an 8:00am service! I hustled myself over to the church and several folks were there (it's never a big crowd). They were all worried that something had happened to me. Finally, as they were helping me get everything ready, someone said, "What happened?" I said, "I hoped no one would ask that question!" Then I told them what happened - everyone laughed and teased me. They were very understanding. I love the 8:00 am service. It is a quiet time with a small group of people - no music, just the liturgy. The 10:00 service yesterday seemed chaotic to me. We were learning a new piece of music with a new organist who is being trained by our present organist. Sally has filled in admirably since Kathleen's death but she doesn't want to do this full time. My acolyte was a wonderful man in the congregation who grew up in the Episcopal Church. It was his first time acolyting here and we made our way through the service without too much confusion, but I felt frazzled. I hope that didn't get communicated to the congregation. Sometimes worship goes so smoothly and other times it feels like you have a rope over your shoulder pulling everyone along.

Pepper Jelly

Last Friday I made this pepper jelly which did not "jell". So yesterday I put it back in the pot, added a bit more sugar and sure jell and boiled it longer. I put it in the jars and it is still not jelly but it is thicker. So I will give it to folks as "pepper glaze for pork". It has a great taste - sweet sour with a bit of a kick. I just don't have the heart to "reboil." It is pretty to look at and I love to make jelly and jam. It is very therapeutic.

No comments: