Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mid week thoughts

New Harmony must be on the "flight path" for the geese as they navigate between summer and winter homes. The past few weeks they have been on the move north. The sky is thick with them as they come overhead to follow the Wabash north along the Indiana / Illinois line. This winter I feel like they are a tad on the early side. We have had one snow storm after another with temperatures in the teens. But there they are winging their way north into even colder temperatures and frozen lakes. They are quite noisy as hundreds of them fly together. We get to see them a lot in the early morning when we are out mushing around in the snowy backyard.

A friend sent me a news report from the Church of England Synod today saying that the conservative priests in the C of E are threatening a mass exodus to Rome if the Synod approves a resolution to allow women priests in England to become bishops. I have several feelings about this. It seems to me that they are holding the C of E hostage to get their way in a matter that was really decided when they chose to ordain women priests. If a woman priest is gifted and called to the episcopate is it impossible that it can be God's call? I know that those priests who are making this demand base it on scripture's witness of a male dominated church and some of Paul's statements about women. I hope that we have come further in both our understanding of Middle Eastern culture and the interpretation of scripture than this. When I was in Rome last year we went to the Catacombs of Pricillia just outside of Rome. We went there because one of the paintings on the wall (which date from the 2nd and 3rd centuries CE) is of a woman in the "orans" posture. This is the posture one assumes when celebrating Eucharist - arms outstretched. It is thought to be an early picture of a woman presbyter. So, I think Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury should tell the men who are threatening to leave that he will not negotiate on this matter. I know that Pope Benedict will joyfully receive those priests...and their wives!

2 comments:

A.Geralds said...

I have a couple of pics on my Facebook of the geese, but they are so high up you can't really see them well. They are neat to watch in their formations.
On the second note, I continue to pray that church leaders open their hearts in regards to the issues creating unrest in the church. It's so hard to understand other views on this issue of the roles of women in the church, especially when I've felt such blessings in services led by yourself and other female priests and church leaders. Peace.

Bretta said...

Catching up with your blog today. Enjoying your thoughts as always. Did you finish your blue sweater??? I'm ENJOYING knitting lately and am glad to add that skill to my life. I'm looking for a good and easy cable pattern right now (maybe a headband...that sounds easy!). Loved your comment about fishing being hard work and sacrifice...makes me think. Love you much!