Monday, October 27, 2008

Winter is Coming!















This will be a short post with a lot of pictures. I'm back at the Public Library in Sparta...still no internet with Embarq! I woke up to the wind shaking the trees around the house. Of course the leaves are flyin! It is sunny off and on - really a beautiful day. Tomorrow will bring a taste of winter to the mountains - snow showers! I'll see if I can get a picture of the little flaky wonders as they flutter down.



It has been a restful weekend. I went to Christ Episcopal Church yesterday and really enjoyed sitting in the pew and just worshipping. They were having their Annual Parish Meeting after church and were gracious in an invitation to stay. I did not stay although the "pot luck" smells were tempting. They also do their children's Christian education during the service. Many of the children are acolytes and so they dismiss the children after the reading of the gospel by singing "Jesus loves me." They come back just before the closing hymn and process out.

















This is a picture of 111 Ivy Lane in Glade Valley, NC. It is surrounded by mountain laurel bushes and as you can see lots of trees. Behind the house there are woods which slope down to a large pasture where there are horses. I go down to the fence and the horses come up to the fence for a nose rub. I have put out some pumpkins since I took this picture. I doubt that I have any trick or treaters - the house is not really visible and there are only a few houses on the lane.




The picture below is of baby Christmas trees! Alleghany County, NC is one of the largest producers of Christmas trees and the tree farms dot the landscape all around. These tiny, future trees are important to the economy of this area.




Well, I am off to West Jefferson and Glendale Springs to see the frescoes in the Episcopal Churches there. Going to those churches was always a favorite thing to do in the summer after we hiked the mountain trails. I will take some pictures...

No comments: