Monday, October 13, 2008

The King of Love

Yesterday morning we sang "The King of Love My Shepherd Is" - its author is Henry W. Baker and it was first published in 1868. I have sung this hymn many times in many places, but by far the most memorable was in 1977. I was at Sewanee with my EFM class and we worshipped at All Saint's Chapel. All Saints' is far more than a "chapel." It is a "cathedral" of great beauty and grandeur. I remember this hymn so well because in the middle of singing it, I knew I was called by God.

The king of love my shepherd is,
Whose goodness faileth never;
I nothing lack if I am his
And he is mine for ever.


Where streams of living water flow
My ransomed soul he leadeth,
And where the verdant pastures grow
With food celestial feedeth.


Perverse and foolish oft I strayed,
But yet in love he sought me,
And on his shoulder gently laid,
And home rejoicing brought me.


In death's dark vale I fear no ill
With thee, dear Lord, beside me;
Thy rod and staff my comfort still,
Thy cross before to guide me.


Thou spread'st a table in my sight;
Thy unction grace bestoweth;
And O what transport of delight
From thy pure chalice floweth!


And so through all the length of days
Thy goodness faileth never:
Good shepherd, may I sing thy praise
Within thy house for ever.

I am not sure exactly which words of this hymn confirmed that call in me...it easily could have been verse 3. "Perverse and foolish oft I strayed" was an adequate description of my life at that point! As was the last part of that verse: "But yet in love he sought me; and on his shoulder gently laid and home rejoicing brought me." Perhaps it was those words confirming in me the truth of my life: I am a sheep who is loved by a Shepherd and this Shepherd will always bring me home...no matter how far I stray.

Yesterday we sang this hymn as the sequence hymn before and after the gospel lesson. As I placed the gospel book back on the altar, I felt overwhelmed with God's love. I could hear the congregation singing the words of the hymn and I felt the depth of their presence. I remember when I was ordained as a deacon in 1984. Although only the Bishop's hands were on my head, I felt the weight of the congregation's presence behind me. In my mind it felt greater than those gathered - it had depth that went beyond the doors of the cathedral and into the world. That was similar to what I felt yesterday.

I told a story for my sermon yesterday from the book "Tales of the Kingdom" by Bruce and Karen Mains (1985). It was the story of the little girl named Dirty. She comes to the place called Great Park where everyone loves the king. But she refuses to be one of the king's subjects and she goes to live with the pigs. She is "dirty." Dirty loves to watch the Great Celebrations while hiding in the trees, so no one will see her. At the Great Celebration all the king's subjects go into a circle of flames and when they "enter" they are changed - made real. After they "enter" there is dancing, singing and a banquet. A beggar finds Dirty hiding in the bushes one night and invites her to go with him into the sacred circle and be his guest at the banquet, but Dirty refuses. She tells him she would rather be with the pigs than with him. As she watches the beggar enters the circle through the flames and he is revealed as the king. This missed invitation by the king causes Dirty to want more than her pig stye. She finds herself crying for the first time and she runs away. She is found and brought to the Great Celebration where she enters the circle. She is clothed in white...made new from head to toe. She asks someone about this new garment and finds out that she has been clothed in kingslove.


I think that "clothing" is what happens to us from time to time. We are suddenly and unexpectedly clothed in Godslove. It falls over us like a soft garment and all the "knots and gnarles" within us are loosened so that we can not only feel Godslove but give it away. It is a good thing to remember those moments when God makes us new. For me it is a reminder that if God can make me new, and clothe me in his love, then he can do it for any and all of those people around me. It helps me not be so impatient with others or so eager to disregard those I disagree with or dislike. In words from "Tales of the Kingdom" - Dirty found that she could love even those who were "ugly" because she knew a king that could make them new. That's the task isn't it?

No comments: